Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Yacht Rock Party: Epilogue

Epilogue: Johnny Louis never made it to San Francisco. He was hit and killed by a drunk driver.

Adam and Katie were married later that summer but divorced 5 years later. Both have since remarried.

---
As a bookend to the Yacht Rock Party, here are some notable Yacht Rock songs that I either love or are just evocative of memories from their era.

Steely Dan - Peg
Knowledgeable music listeners will recognize that this was sampled in the also cool "Eye Know" by De La Soul. This song features Michael McDonald.



The Doobie Brothers - What a Fool Believes
Written by Michael McDonald and Kenny Loggins. Michael Jackson has also claimed to have contributed to at least one backing track but is not credited.



Jefferson Starship - Sara
OK, maybe this one doesn't belong here, I don't know, but I felt it should be included. It's the epitome of "smooth rock" for better or worse in my opinion. Hey, is that Rebecca Demornay?! Yes, it is. I'm no doctor but if you suspect storms are brewin' in your eyes, you should seek medical attention and/or a meteorologist immediately.



Michael McDonald - I Keep Forgettin'
Man, Michael McDonald is dominating this list. Again, sharp music listeners will note that this song was sampled later by Warren G on "Regulate".



Christopher Cross - Never Be the Same
I really wanted to use "Ride Like the Wind" but I thought I would avoid repetition. This song though, REALLY sounds like it was used as a television show theme in the 80s. Perhaps it's just my imagination but I think it's from somewhere. What am I thinking of? It's similar to the "Doogie Howser" theme, but I think there's something else... Anyway, good song.


1 comment:

  1. Steely Dan was named after a large mechanical dildo. I have all these episodes downloaded but require time to watch them.

    ReplyDelete