Friday, October 2, 2009

Lay The Plaque Down

When I first heard that Stephen Merchant was doing a film with The Rock called "Tooth Fairy", and that the title wasn't just a poetic flourish or even a metaphor - the Rock actually plays the Tooth Fairy - I thought, "WTF?". But now, after having a few months to think about it, I think, "WTF?".
As you may or may not know, Steve Merchant is the co-creator, co-writer, co-director of "The Office" and "Extras" together with Ricky Gervais and also co-presenter of the (amazing) Ricky Gervais Show radio programme (British spelling!) and (inconsistent) Ricky Gervais Podcasts. He's also a 6-foot-7 goggle-eyed, bespectacled bean pole.
The first trailer was just released and it is a Disney movie. There's no getting around that. And it'll probably be very average. However, I will have to see it, being such a huge Merchant fan. Here it is:

[Original Video Broken]

Notice that in the trailer he doesn't get any billing or say a single line. Classic.

"The Invention of Lying" starring Merchant's writing partner Ricky Gervais opens today as well. From what I've seen, I'm not holding out much hope that that's going to be great either but, again, I'll at least see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment