Monday, September 30, 2019

10th Anniversary Blog Post

It was 10 years ago that the first post on this blog was made. It was about how Late Night with Jimmy Fallon was going to have a Yacht Rock Party. And hence, the blog's theme.

This is where I'm supposed to say how quickly 10 years flew by and it feels like yesterday but it definitely doesn't - it feels like a really long time ago. This might also be where I explain why I first created this blog and how things have changed. But I didn't create this blog, it blog was created by my friend Chuck and then given to me. I think the reason he created it was to cut down on the emails I was sending. And that was pretty much a sign because he doesn't really talk to me anymore.

But the email thing makes sense, looking at the early posts. This blog was about anything and everything that would've warranted an email. The main thing was always late night talk show stuff but there was also Philly sports news, Thom Yorke has a new band, Mr. Perfect playing Ping Pong, the best tv show no one is watching, the Imdb 250, and on, and on. Looking now, I found a forgotten post of note: when the mayor of Newark banned Conan from the city. That mayor is now running for President of the United States - Cory Booker. The second ever post was entitled "Who Cares Wins", it contains no context and only  embeds a now broken video from hulu. Very enigmatic. I think I know what that was, I think that was Jimmy Fallon doing a 80s training VHS sketch. The title is a reference to this video.

The blog would eventually focus almost exclusively on late night videos but the theme of broken links makes most of it irrelevant. Oh for access to the old clips. VHS is greater than Hulu, apparently. My blog might have been more useful as a document of the death of late night talk shows but, bucking the internet trend, I always tried to keep things relatively positive. So the only evidence of the break down is ever-larger gaps between late night-related posts.

Another thing that I didn't do on this blog is talk very much about myself. I didn't document the last decade of my life - the highs, the lows, the struggle, the everyday events. Going back and looking at the early posts, it seems like a missed opportunity but I'm not going to change now. On second thought, I remember a time I posted a personal observation and it had real life consequences so remaining mostly impersonal was probably a good thing.

This blog gets about 10 views per day and even though it was started as a way to talk to friends, I only know 1 person who bothers anymore. I assume the rest are from google searches gone awry. But if you're an actual human reader of this blog, I thank you and hope that you're actually benefiting in some way from this nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment