Saturday, December 18, 2010

Top Ten Album Easter Eggs


Cracked.com has a really interesting article about the top ten album easter eggs.


For me, the most mind-blowing one is #6 Aphex Twin though he loses points for the fact that the song, on a surface level, sucks.

Of particular interest - and the reason I found the article in the first place - are #9 and #8. #9 is real (obviously) and I've known about for a long time. I even bought two copies of the album just so I could ruin one by opening the back of the CD case. It wasn't strictly necessary - getting to the booklet didn't have to mean ruining the case - but it turned out to be a good idea because I cracked a giant chunk of plastic off.

#8 is really intriguing and I'll be checking out that "combined" album soon but I have to regard it as the same as the Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz thing (which I also checked out by the way (summer vacations were awesome)). There are hugely suspicious coincidences that lead you down the path of "clues" but it IS only coincidence. The quote in the article where a "source close to the band" says that they can't believe it's taken the public this long to figure it out is rubbish. It's hard enough writing good music, it's hard enough producing good music and making a compelling album, you can't expect artists are going to add some hugely complicated extra parameter for themselves that they have to overcome like syncing to a movie.

I think most conspiracy theories start off for the exact same reason. In fact, there ACTUALLY people who still believe Paul McCartney is dead. THAT... is depressing. Still, I find this kind of thing interesting at least.

1 comment:

  1. I put this in the same vein as "In XXXXX Disney movie, if you listen closely, YYYY main character says [dirty phrase]". It sounds plausible, but when you think about it, try to test it out, it's always garbage. I've heard that Dark Side of the Moon bit for years, and always figured it as such despite friends who swear "I've totally done it!".

    You're a liar, Kevin. I knew it then and I know it now!

    ReplyDelete