Thursday, April 1, 2010

Spring! Music!

The following songs are all songs that I emotionally and psychologically associate with Spring. The change of seasons, the warmer weather, the idea that there's still plenty of the school year left but the end is in sight - it's all here. ROCK.

If it's nice out listen to these songs whilst enjoying the sunshine. If it's not, listen and pretend it is.

Talking Heads - Nothing But Flowers

(The above takes me right back to my senior year in high school. I had ordered the Best of the Talking Heads CD online and listened to it a lot while making an entire website for a school project using Frontpage. Those were the days.)

Passenger - Walk You Home

(The above takes me straight back to 2007. That's probably to recent to reminisce.)

The Lemonheads - If I Could Talk I'd Tell You

(The above takes me right back to 1997 or thereabouts... it takes me there but whilst there I don't have access to a calendar. Ah, to be back in the '90s.)

Elbow - Scattered Black and Whites

(Takes me back to 2001. Working a summer job by day (I say "working" though it was really more like "surfing the internet and then leaving after 8 hours") and hanging with friends in the evenings.)

Radiohead - Maquiladora

(It's oft been said that Radiohead's B-Sides are better than other bands' A-Sides. S'truth. Takes me back to 1998. In those days there was a webpage with every Radiohead B-Side listed and each had a link to download the song right off the webpage. Those days are gone, eh? I went through the B-Sides endlessly while exploring the new "internet" and trying out new Winamp "skins".)

The fact that 3/5 bands have the word "head" in the title is completely coincidental. A different 3/5 are British. Also coincidence.

1 comment:

  1. Winamp.... It really whips the llama's ass! I was so excited when I got new WA skins... oh man.

    Talking Heads: Almost got me kicked out of a bar for a drunken argument with a bartender and my buddy Max and I about which album came first. I don't even recall which one we were advocating, it wasn't important. Whenever I think of them, I think of Doug on Nickelodeon because of the giant suits episode.

    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/939893/ (Near the end)

    Never heard of Elbow... but it reminds me of a more refined Guster, and I like me some Guster.

    Radiohead, I'm love hate with them. Their music is tremendous, but somehow I always feel like I'm not part of the hip cool kids who get to call them their favorite band. It's strange. That said, Creep is definitely a song that I love to hear, and one I can "sorta" play on guitar, and by "sorta" I mean "not at all but I try".

    The Passenger song... well, I'm not gonna lie. I haven't heard it before, and I really like the guitar, but what keeps happening to his voice? I'm freaked out. Reminds me of BNL a little (whom I adore) but doesn't quite make it there.

    ReplyDelete