Saturday, October 2, 2021

Late Show - The Dr. Phil Trilogy

 Over the past week and a half I've released my own "Dr. Phil Trilogy" to youtube. I don't expect it to perform well - I think people see "Dr. Phil" and think "who cares?"

But this was a fun era in David Letterman history. For months they isolated clips of Dr. Phil out of context and played them for comedy on the show (Video #1). And then Dr. Phil agreed to come on the show and implied that it may come to violence (Video #2). Then the actual interview (Video #3) was actually combative (in a playful, jokey way).





I have no particular opinion of Dr. Phil but the whole saga was fun and funny. I wish I had more "Dr. Phil's Words of Wisdom" clips but it was a daily segment and I felt overwhelmed. Also, someone started a website where you could read through them all and I figured that was good enough, not thinking that anything like youtube would ever exist.

All of this was a stepping stone, I think, toward getting on Oprah - and, for all I know, it worked.

Sidenote: The youtube algorithm is an interesting thing. The Norm Macdonald clip that I posted 2 weeks ago has over 60,000 views. The Conan clip that I posted a week later is at 127 views.

No comments:

Post a Comment