Thursday, March 21, 2024

Rad Remastered (2024)

What is "Rad Remastered?" We were told that there was "additional footage" and that there was a Q&A hosted by Ed Helms. As it turns out, the Q&A WAS the additional footage. That was it. That was the whole thing.

The print was the same quality as the previous "Rad" releases in theaters. Evidently the sound was also different, they said that it was never 5.1 before and so that was new also. I can't confirm.

The Q&A included Bill Allen, Bart Conner and Jack Schwartzman's (the producer's) son.

When viewing movies on the big screen, I like to look at the edges of the screen to notice the finer details. Most of that work was done in the previous two times I saw "Rad" in the theater. But there was a thing or two. The last time I saw it, I wanted to get a better look at Cru's mom's license plate to see what state it was. I did that this time but the writing is just beyond the edge of discernment. At the bottom it says 3 words and the 3rd word is "county" I think.

The other small observation was that Rod and Rex's "girlfriend" has very distinctly brown hair in the dancing scene and then in the next scene, walking down the street, it's blonde.

There was a pre-movie trivia onscreen. One of the factoids (probably taken from imdb) says "The character of Cru is loosely based off of Eddie Fiola, who did most of Bill Allen's stunts in the film." The second part is undoubtedly true but the first part I don't believe for a second. I have never heard this. Can anyone confirm?

The first two times I saw "Rad," the theater was 25%-50% full. For some reason, this time it was 80% full. I couldn't figure out why or what made the difference. It couldn't have been the "additional footage" because the place cleared out after the movie as if they didn't know it was coming. The audience was also livelier - there were people laughing, singing along to the songs and there was applause when Cru won Helltrack (spoilers.) It could have been my imagination but I think some people behind me even reacted to the part where the race onlookers react to Cru wiping out before he actually wipes out. In both cases that takes a savvy audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment