Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Popcorn in Bed - Tombstone



It's been a while since I re-visited "Tombstone." Pretty classic.

Looking at the chat, I'm surprised at how many people claim the line "I'm your huckleberry" is actually "I'm your huckle bearer."

A copy of the script is online and it says "huckleberry." Also, Val Kilmer confirmed that it's "huckleberry":



The proponents arguing for "huckle bearer" did not give a lot of justification for their position, youtube chats don't allow for a great deal of explanation, but one reason I heard repeatedly was "huckleberry doesn't make any sense." Which itself makes no sense. People really expect to listen in on conversation from the past and understand every word intuitively?

Idioms of the past usually don't make sense. "I'm your huckleberry" means "I'm the one you want," "I'm the man for the job." You can read about further examples of that in the old west here.

No comments:

Post a Comment