Sunday, September 12, 2021

Mr. T in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009)

 


"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" was probably my favorite book when I was a child. And ff you don't know, well now you know.

But "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs"- the movie - has very little to do with the book. I suppose that's to be expected; the book's plot is minimal and could never fill up a feature-length film (though I would like to see an attempt). Nevertheless, just in case you were wondering, "I wonder how faithful the movie is to the book," the answer is: not much at all.

Book aside, if we judge the movie on its own terms, it's an excellent kids' movie. It's sharp, it's inventive, it's very funny. The visual gags are constant and the characterization is top-notch. And, no surprise, it was written and directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. The main character is voiced by Bill Hader and I need to note that Bill Hader has a perfect voice for animation.

My one complaint about the movie is the way it turns into an action movie towards the end - I'm fully on board for most of the movie but that's the only part where I start to lose interest. But that had me thinking: is there any animated movie made nowadays that doesn't devolve into an action film? Sad, but I can't think of a single example.


Mr. T voices Earl Devereaux, a balls-to-the-wall policeman who prioritizes his wife and kid above everything. Here, the usual Mr. T persona is given a new physicality - it's a nice blend of new and familiar. It's an excellent performance and a fun character.

This is a double recommendation. If you're looking for a kid's book, get it. If you're looking for a good family movie, this is a must-see.

No comments:

Post a Comment