Friday, January 1, 2021

The Johnstown Flood


In 5th grade, for some reason, we did an entire history module on the Johnstown Flood. I remember it being harrowing, dark and depressing. And it was morbid. And depressing. I mention "depressing" twice because depression was a new phenomenon in 5th grade so it has particular noteworthiness. I have no idea why we did it except to say that in the 5th grade, any topic is as valid as any other so why not?

It should therefore come as no surprise that I officially have no particular interest in the Johnstown Flood. But being a huge fan of author David McCullough, I read his book "The Johnstown Flood" and it IS great. That McCullough can sure spin a yarn and particularly the way he synthesizes huge amounts of research into a digestible story is so impressive.

If you're curious about the subject or are looking for a good book, I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment