Monday, January 18, 2021

Irish People Try Cinnamon Flavored Things

 

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? I'm here to say I think we've been lied to.

When I was a kid, I remember getting Cinnamon Dentyne or Big Red gum and it burning my mouth with hot fire. It was a quite a dilemma because what can you do? On the one hand, I want the pain to stop, on the other, I don't know where my next piece of gum is going to come from. But when you eat the spice cinnamon it doesn't do anything close to that level of setting your mouth on fire.

Cinnamon is tree bark from a certain variety of tree and it does contain a certain amount of a hot compound similar to capsaicin called cinnamaldehyde. When it's ground up and sitting in a jar, it loses a fair amount of kick which explains half of the discrepancy. 

Well, then I guess making cinnamon candy hot is technically fair game. Nonetheless, the hot candies seem to be creating different amounts of concentrated oil in order to magnify the sting. Big Red stole my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment