Monday, May 18, 2020

Bird Nonsense

I've been having a really rough week and in the midst of my stress and frustration, I have a bird constantly pecking at my window.

I'm trying to concentrate, trying to get things done and some member of the animal kingdom is just going KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK. I can understand birds are dumb enough that they don't understand the concept of glass - it causes a significant number of deaths, as birds fly head-first into them - but this is no accident. Pecking seems to imply they know the window is there. Pecking repeatedly seems to imply they understand what they're doing.

I can go to the window and it will run off. But that lasts for a few minutes and they're back. What could they be getting out of this? What biological advantage could this possibly gain? Maybe it's not the same bird each time, but that suggests a constant line of birds, all waiting their turn to wrap on my window and piss me off.

To google we go and suddenly I'm not alone:


Ok, we made the top suggestion. Here's what google says:


Wow, finally some good news. Let's dig deeper, I want to hear about that...

This webpage says:

"When resting, a bird sees its own reflection in the glass, perceiving a rival bird. And that means it’s time to defend their territory."

Stupid birds. Ok, how do I stop this...

"If you’re looking for a magic solution, there isn’t one. If nothing else, make kind choices. The problem is human-made and the birds are just doing what comes naturally to them."

Oh sure, take their side, Melissa. I'd expect nothing less from the toxic masculinity infested internet. They then suggest things you can do to help. Suggestion #2 is: "Keep Your Curtains Closed". It seems to me that that has no possibility of helping. Firstly, because my curtains are closed. Secondly, wouldn't the bird just see another bird with a curtain behind them?

What eats birds? Should I buy a snake?

No comments:

Post a Comment