Sunday, January 30, 2011

Super Bowl of Avoidance

It occurred to me as I watched the Pro Bowl today that this will be my last chance to see the NFL until next season. This made me sad for two reasons. 1) Nothing that happens in the Pro Bowl can really be described as "football" and 2) due to the current collective bargaining agreement, the wait will probably be longer than "next season". "Next season" will start at least a month late (my estimate) if there's even a season at all.

"But what about the Super Bowl?!", you say, quite harshly. A little too harshly, frankly. If I'm going to write a blog, I really don't need that level of sass and I'm not going to take it. Well, to answer the question, the Super Bowl annoys me. It barely has any more to do with football than the Pro Bowl does. Between the people watching just for the commercials, the halftime show where 'NSync does half a song with Aerosmith, the indifferent crowd and the fact that the public at large watches just because everyone else is, I couldn't care less. If my team were in the game, I'd watch and I'd watch harder than anyone else but until that happens, it's banned.

The question now is how to fill my time. I'd like to do something that stands out so that it can be remembered fondly in the future. Past Super Bowls I've:

And even though I had a blog during last years game, I don't remember what I did. If I had to guess, I think I was watching a movie of some sort.

So what to do this year? Not sure. It's something to think about this week. The only rules are that it has to be something slightly off the beaten path (or simply ridiculous) and has to be as "opposite" of the Super Bowl as possible. A couple of the frontrunners so far:

Storage Wars Marathon
Watch "Wayne and Garth's Music A-Go-Go" (if I can get it in time)
Read
Watch "Trading Spaces" (I'd have to find that as well)
8-bit Nintendo Night

That's really all I have so far but I have a week to think about it. I'm sure I'll figure something out. Suggestions welcome.

The good news is this: two weeks until aces and catchers.

3 comments:

  1. I'm slightly terrified, because I did the following tonight instead of watching the super bowl (which I presume is still on as of this writing):

    Went to Wendy's
    Went to CVS (bought Draino for my room mate)
    Finally caught up on CJYC (in progress)
    and... watched Puppy Bowl VII.

    Seriously. They've done this six previous times? I almost killed myself after about four minutes. At least the hamsters in the blimp they cut to every 5-10 minutes gave me something to do to take my mind off the videos of dogs constantly sniffing and biting eachother for 45 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So 9 years later... Did you ever get Wayne and Garth's Music A Go Go? I can't find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find it eventually but it's been so long I don't remember where I got it. I got it on a bootleg DVD, the menu of which says "tvtimemachine.info"... which doesn't seem to exist anymore. If I can track anything else down, I'll let you know.

      Delete