Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Goldenberries

 


I picked up some Goldenberries at the store the other day (AKA Cape Gooseberries, AKA Peruvian Groundcherries) and they are a trip.

They're very weird, very hard to describe. They look like yellow cherry tomatoes and taste a lot like cherry tomatoes as well. But they're 50% cherry tomato mixed with sour and sweet. It's as if you took tomato taste and mixed it with lemon and sugar.

I ate one and was immediately repulsed, then I ate another and was shocked at how weird it was. Then I kept eating and found it hard to stop. That pretty much sums it up - they're both terrible and I wouldn't recommend them... and at the same time, I really like them and need more.

Their skin is also sticky, which I've never experienced before in a food. But the internet confirms that it is a natural occurence.

No one knows what groundcherries taste like (no relation to regular cherries) but if you do, they're like a sweeter, weirder, wilder groundcherry. Their alternate name "Peruvian Groundcherry" is apt.

No comments:

Post a Comment