Sunday, September 24, 2023

David Letterman's Scrambled Eggs Recipe

 


Dave Letterman's Scrambled Eggs Recipe

Ingredients

  • Eggs - As many as desired.
  • Half and Half - 1 Tbsp
  • Butter - 1/2-1 Pat
  • Mustard (Plochman's) - As much as you can get out of the thing. [Substitute French's if necessary]

Instructions

  1. In a large bowl, beat eggs to a homogenous consistency, whilst making "tsk" sounds with your mouth. 
  2. Add half and half and mix into eggs (as above). 
  3. Heat a pan to medium heat. Add butter. Once the butter has melted, add the egg mixture to the pan. As the eggs cook and solidify, massage with fork until fluffy.
  4. Once eggs are done, pour onto plate and add mustard. Serve.

Review

So I tried this recipe, following the instructions completely, with the exception that I assumed the "as much mustard as you can get out of the thing" thing was an exaggeration. I'm no Julia Child, I'm no Gordon Ramsey, but that's my guess. I found that Plochman's Mustard is available on Amazon, I bought that. I even bought a pint of half and half even though I only needed a tablespoon.

A few things that I found confusing...Firstly, I'm confused by the complete mixture of the eggs. I always thought when you're making an omelet, you beat completely but that if eggs are scrambled, you would keep some marbling, some heterogeneity. I also don't know what "massaging" the eggs is in this context because, again, the way he describes it sounds like an omelet and I'm not making an omelet. The final thing I found confusing was: I was left to my own devices as to how much mustard to use. Given the charge to add the entire full, new bottle, I didn't make that disaster but simply added more than I was comfortable with.

The result? The eggs are fine but the taste of mustard dominates and it's unpleasant. That's going to differ completely from person to person but I personally don't like the strong mustard taste. I may try again with a different massaging technique and less mustard. When Dave mentions mustard, the audience gasps. I also was not familiar with scrambled eggs and mustard so I could relate. But I was trying to think why it's weird and can't find a reason. After all, I normally like scrambled eggs with ketchup so I don't have an objective leg to stand on.

Update: I tried again with the following modifications:

  • Less egg mixing
  • Added salt/pepper.
  • Used my own method of "scrambling" rather than "massaging."
  • Used a smaller amount of mustard - like "essence of mustard."
Result: Much better. Although it still seems like an acquired taste that I haven't acquired, still they're good and it seems at least possible that I could acquire the taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment