Friday, December 23, 2022

Mexican Snacks

 Don't worry, the Year of Snacks is over. This is an addendum to a Game Grumps post. On their "10 Minute Power Hour" episode "Candies from Around the World," they tasted a Mexican candy that I needed to track down. And while I was on Amazon, I grabbed a second one.


At 3:12, the Grumps describe an unnamed Mexican candy as basically the combination of every Fruit Roll-Up in the world. But they don't say its name. So I did a little research and people tell me that this candy is most likely Rellerindos.

Rellerindos - Sabor Tamarindo


English Description: Tamarind Flavor with Chili

It turns out The Grumps' description is both apt and misleading and I'll explain why. Firstly, I commend them for instantly coming up with a "headline" description that's so good. The Fruit Roll-Up inclusion is accurate in the way that there's some sweet and some grit. You remember how in strawberry Fruit Roll-Ups they have "seeds" in there that feel like little grains of sand? Well, these have some of that. They also have some sweet and some fruit - also in common with Fruit Roll-Ups. The "every Fruit Roll-Up" is accurate in the way the taste is completely intense and like nothing you've had before.

Here's where the Fruit Roll-Up analogy goes awry and my english translation helps. These are chili flavored. The whole time you're eating them, there is a low-level heat on your tongue which is wayyyy unexpected. It's this "heat" that adds to the overpowering flavor aspect that makes the whole experience just painful and not recommended... unless you're looking for a completely new taste that you've never had before regardless of whether it's pleasant or not.

Revolcaditas - Sabor Flavor


English Description: Watermelon flavored chili covered hard candy.

I picked these up when Amazon recommended them. I love watermelon, I love watermelon-flavored things, why not?

These are much less intense, much less disgusting than the Rellerindos but still run along similar lines. Like Rellerindos, they have the spicy outer flavor (chili) that is absolutely disgusting and, to my American sensibilities, doesn't belong within 50 feet of a "candy." But then, unlike Rellerindos, when you get to the middle, there is a very nice watermelon hard candy taste.

Ah, a thought occurred! Maybe instead of intense disgusting flavor first and then a nice sweet flavor second, the point is I should chew it all and mix it together. I tried and failed. It's a hard candy and so it's a somewhat difficult thing to do and even if you do, the flavors still stay pretty separate. 

So that's that. I bought two very big bags of candy and after eating 2 or 3 pieces, never want to eat any of them again. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment