Thursday, May 26, 2022

Robert Plant - 29 Palms

 


In theory, early-to-mid nineties adult contemporary is one of my least favorite musical genres. I was a teen and thought "This has none of the energy of rock nor is it slow enough to be beautiful." It's caught in a muddled no-man's land of commercial product.

But "29 Palms" by Robert Plant is one of the only exceptions, though I can't explain exactly why. This song takes me back to Summer of 2007 and now it's synonymous with Summer for me.

But the thing I wanted to point out was the brilliant lyric corruption it contains. In the first instance(?) of the chorus, Plant clearly says "29 Parm" - an instant classic that goes in the Hall of Fame of Lyric Corruption right up there with "Caribou Queen" by Billy Ocean and "Shamone" in "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson.

The song was secretly about Italian food this whole time. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment