Thursday, January 20, 2022

Mr. T, The 50th Presidential Inaugural Gala and Apache

 

In 1984 Ronald Reagan was re-elected as president and in 1985 there was a Presidential Inaugural Gala broadcast on TV and Mr. T was there.

The program was organized by Frank Sinatra and featured a diverse group of entertainment. Not only did Sinatra organize the event, he also introduced Mr. T. At this point Mr. T takes over:

Thank you, Mr. S.

It's a thrill for me to be back in the nation's capitol. Last time I was here I played Santa Claus at the White House. Where else but in America can a black man from the ghetto play a white man from the North Pole and live to tell about it? Now I'd like to introduce another performer who is used to playing many parts including the President of the United States. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Rich Little...

So it all comes full circle, Mr. T hung out with Dean Martin, now he's with Sinatra... I was just talking about Rich Little, now Mr. T is introducing him. It's all part of God's plan.

The two highlights of the evening, in my opinion, as if anyone cares, are Ray Charles singing "America the Beautiful" which is always great and Don Rickles roasting the room.

I mentioned the diversity of the entertainment... Mr. T is introduced by Frank Sinatra, Don Rickles is introduced by Emmanuel Lewis (14 years old at this point)... but my favorite is when Jimmy Stewart introduces a breakdancing troupe - The New York City Breakers.

The New York City Breakers, a group of 8, come out and dance to - what else - "Apache." One of my favorite memories is one time when I was watching TV with a friend and "Apache" comes on and I spontaneously stand up and do the hip-thrusting Apache Dance. It was so unexpected, he couldn't stop laughing. But as the Breakers were dancing I thought to myself, "'Apache' is by Sugarhill Gang, right?" Well it's interesting.

Amazingly, "Apache" is a British song and was released as a rock instrumental in 1960!


The song was then covered in 1973 by the Incredible Bongo Band to make a hip-hop classic. And this is the version danced to by the New York City Breakers.


But I was not wrong about it being a Sugarhill Gang song because they then covered the Incredible Bongo Band version and added lyrics:


And that's the version I remember.

Oh, and by the way, after the New York City Breakers the next entertainer was an opera singer. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment