Thursday, December 17, 2020

Japanese Snack Reviews #1

 Alternating between Korean and Japanese reviews. Let's go...

1.

Translated Name: Unknown

Additional Text: The back says "Kuppy Ramune," does that mean "Cup Ramen?"

Review:

You can probably tell from the "window" in the picture that these are sugar discs very similar to Smarties. They come in orange, strawberry and lemon. They're basically like Smarties, generally, but there is a surprise. They dissolve in your mouth almost instantly, it's very strange. The flavor is like Smarties but they're lighter, more powdery and effervescent. For what they are, they're good.

2.

Translated Name: Cola Gummies

Review:

As the name suggests, it's a classic cola-flavored gummy candy. If you want something available in the west that's similar, get Haribo Gummi Candy Happy-Cola. And I like both a lot, although I kind of overdosed a little on the Haribo Gummis so I don't really eat them anymore. This Japanese version is coated with a thick layer of sugar, as you can see. Good stuff.

3.

Translated Name: Tasty - Cheese

Review:

Here's a unique one. First off, the next 3 are all different variants of the "Tasty" brand. "Tastys" are like giant cheese puffs, the size and shape of a cigar. They look like this:

Doesn't look too appetizing but they are good. It looks like a giant cheese puff and it tastes like a cheese puff (though with slightly less cheesy flavor). There is also a hole through the middle so that it's hollow for some reason. An interesting experience and pretty good.

4.

Translated Name: Tasty - Grilled Chicken Flavor

Review:

I think this is the most interesting one of the group. This is continuing the Tasty series, it's like a long cheese puff, as above, but it's chicken flavor. Except, it isn't chicken as we would guess "chicken flavor" to be. A more helpful name might be "BBQ Chicken" - it's a sweet, barbecue sauce flavor that's really interesting and really does resemble grilled chicken in some way. Pretty weird, quite good, I think, very unusual.

5.


Translated Name: Tasty - Shrimp Flavor

Review:

So, again, same form and general taste as the other "Tastys"... But "shrimp" flavor. Well, this is the Japanese snack I was afraid of - and with good reason. Now, I like shrimp okay. I love shrimp cocktail but I think that's mostly loving the cocktail sauce more that the shrimp. But the weird thing about this is that it doesn't taste anything like shrimp, as far as I can tell. To me, it tastes like a strong mustard taste... and I like mustard too but - maybe I'm overreacting here - but I didn't like it and I felt a little sick after eating it. Not recommended unless for a dare.

So there we are. Ending on a sour note but there were some generally good snacks here. The next review will be back to Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment