Thursday, July 4, 2019

Gettysburg: Animated Battle Map

Happy Independence Day. This is an excellent video illustrating the Battle of Gettysburg.


One of the things that can frustrate me about war documentaries is how they can talk about "flanks",  "attacks", "counter-attacks" and so forth and I have no mental picture of what's going on physically. This video is great for explaining the battle by showing the map with all the pieces on it in addition to showing how they move throughout.

One of the things I'd really like to learn more about some day is military strategy. It's such a huge blind spot in my historical knowledge. When a General "needs to take" a certain ridge, I want to know why they need to take that ridge. Or a certain city is a huge strategic target, what about the city makes it valuable, etc? I recognize and am fascinated by the fact that there's a game of chess being played at the highest level but it's as if I don't know the rules of chess.

No comments:

Post a Comment