Saturday, June 16, 2012

Gilligan's Island - The Question


Recently I finished watching all the episodes of "Gilligan's Island" (98 episodes plus the unaired pilot) along with the four follow-up made for TV movies. I plan to write a few blog posts dedicated to the series and I'll probably post them in order of importance.

So, first up is the great philosophical conundrum that "Gilligan's Island" first presented and continues to plague mankind even today. I've been able to consider it quite a bit over the course of the hundreds of hours I've watched the show. And though I've come up with a conclusion, I have no illusions that it's an easy question or that a good case can't be made for either side. In fact, it's SO close that I spent half my life on the other side. Yes, it's only relatively recently that I've been able to firmly establish that I've "come around" to the totally opposing school of thought.

And so, as I've been split over the course of my life, it perhaps mirrors the nearly even split of our society. But, acknowledging that there are good people on both sides of the aisle and that it's a very difficult issue, nonetheless, after hours and hours of thought and consideration to all the issues and looking at the question from every possible angle, I have come up with my own definitive answer to the great question of "Gilligan's Island".

The answer is Mary Ann.

No comments:

Post a Comment