Monday, February 14, 2011

Here Comes the Limb King

The eighth Radiohead album "The King of Limbs" is available for pre-sale now and will be downloadable this Saturday, February 19th 2011.

Its gonna be HUGE, Conan. I've officially been waiting on this album for 4 (calendar) years and after not a hint, not a suggestion, not a word, it's all of the sudden going to be OUT in 5 days. WOW. Their previous album, "In Rainbows" was announced 10 days before it was released. I wish they didn't do things this way. If they would have only announced it two months ago, I would have had something to look forward to for those two months. Instead, it's 4 years... BAM, NOW!

And along the lines of the "no info" front. Little to nothing is known about this album, not even the tracklisting or how many tracks there are. Although the Japanese are saying it's got 8 songs. That would seem low and I don't think that's correct. There were some tracks that have been played live and not yet recorded but there always are. Furthermore, those tracks that ARE known were only played acoustically or with guest musicians so that's not much help. I'm rooting for "Big Boots" or "Follow Me Around" to finally land a spot.*** All in all, I'd venture to say this is the least I've known going into any Radiohead album, ever.

The album purchase is available in two varieties: download only (wav or mp3) or "newspaper album" which comes with the download as well as two vinyl records, the CD, the ability to download everything and tons of artwork. There's been a lot of speculation as to what "newspaper album" means.... Ok, there's been almost no speculation and what little there is has been ridiculous. I would speculate that it's one of two things: 1) An expression of the nature of the artwork (ie. the artwork will be arranged like a newspaper or 2) All of the materials will be recyclable/biodegradable like a newspaper. Radiohead, after all, are known for being super eco-friendly and that would be the kind of thing they would brag about.

Ok, as speculation goes, this probably isn't the most exciting stuff, but that's all I got.

I should say also that I don't like the title... "The King of Limbs". Reminds me of Kings of Leon (it actually comes from a tree (much like a newspaper! mMM!)). But I'm taking that as a possibly good sign. After a 3 year wait in 2000, the new album "Kid A" was announced and I didn't like THAT title because it reminded me of Kid Rock. And that album turned out PRETTY good.


*** Denotes an old-timey, hardcore-fan reference to songs that will probably never see the light of day. Ha ha? But really, I do love those non-songs.

1 comment:

  1. Fun fact: in my recent lunch meeting of "Guys I work with with japanese wives who are all huge Rush fans"*** we had a Radiohead discussion.

    I listened intently as per my self tasked task of giving radio head a fighting chance after my somewhat indifference over the years. The only thing I garnered was the album title Puablo Honey was a reference to a pair of jokesters in the80s who prank called people, and circulated the CASETTE TAPES via personal copying person to person on college campuses£££. In one such prank they kept repeating in a mock Spanish voice : "Puablo?? honey??" to great comedy. I dont know if this story is true, but id guess you do.

    *** the guys in this club are mostly Japanese, and the guys, not the wives, like rush. We're going to the concert in April. I don't technically have a Japanese wife, but I do like Rush, speak Japanese and work for Nissan, so it's a strongly hedged bet that I'll get one eventually.

    £££ someone call the RIAA, the FBI and the Gestapo.

    ReplyDelete