Sunday, February 20, 2022

The NBA on You-a-Tube

 


I just watched 149 games of the NBA playoffs on youtube and now I'm going to analyze and comment on the whole thing in excruciating detail...

Nah, I'm just kidding but this will be too long though.

Recently, youtube was suggesting old NBA playoff games to me and a thought occurred to me... I wondered could I go back and watch every Chicago Bulls playoff game of the "Jordan era" (loosely defining the Jordan era as 1991-1998). So I started, as all projects do, by creating an excel spreadsheet, listing all the games and all the rounds of the first year. Then I searched for, found and watched the first game on youtube. Then, I repeated the process for the second game, once that series was over, I went to the second round, once that year was over, I sent to the second year, and so forth. Once I got to 1992 I thought I might skip to a parallel track and watch all the Dream Team Olympic games. Once that was done, I figured I step backward and watch the rest of their games leading up to the Olympics.

I'm here to say that, having watched all of these games, every single one was available to watch on youtube. So if you have a particular NBA playoff game, series, team, era, whatever and you want to revisit it, I think you can. I've been wondering if this is true for other sports and also, for the NBA, how many eras. I don't know, all I know is I haven't failed on a single game yet.

Here are a few thoughts on the NBA in the 90's. It was a glorious era, first of all. But as glorious as basketball can be, Bill Walton as a color man makes it almost unwatchable. He's the worst. I thought about making an entire blog post about just this topic. It was a unique viewing experience when even Walton's fellow commentators started pointing out how stupid his statements were. You don't see that a lot. It was fascinating at first and then I just felt sorry for- for everyone. Bill Walton at the mic almost ruins basketball completely. Fortunately for me, he really only really affected one year (1997) but, depending on your favorite era, you may not be so lucky.


Another thing I was thinking was that the "NBA on NBC" theme is played before Every Single Commercial Break and sometimes going to commercial. It's one of the great themes of all-time but so many times per game for 149 games, I stopped really hearing it and it sort of lost all meaning.


I was thinking next I'm going to try watching the NCAA Basketball Tournament for particular years and teams. I also might try the 1996 Dream Team games.

No comments:

Post a Comment