Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Adam Ragusea - What is Wagyu Beef?

  

I've had Wagyu A5 beef and I've given it away as a gift to others. I mention this because this affects my ability to get honest feedback - people want to be polite about gifts no matter what. So my data is not objective but my sense is that perhaps they didn't enjoy it as much as the hype train should suggest. As the video points out, we Americans ate it as a steak and it's so fatty that this is perhaps too much of a good thing. One person echoed what the video says in the way he started to feel too full and a little sick. 

As for me, I really liked it. I describe it as beef bacon. I was really hungry at the time and ate a full steak with no problem. But it was such an unusual experience, I don't know how to compare it to other steaks. I mean, it was definitely the best steak I've ever had but, again due to the fattiness, I wonder if other steaks would win in the long run.

A future test of this possibility will be to try Wagyu A4 next. A5 is the most expensive, most marbled and A4 is one step below that.

No comments:

Post a Comment