Thursday, January 31, 2019

2019 Oscars

In years past, I had the tradition of watching all the relevant Oscar-nominated movies, forming my own winners and posting the results in long, boring blog posts before the actual ceremony takes place. As fun as that was (for me, and me alone), I found an inescapable trend: the nominees were getting worse every year and my passion to pick a winner waned accordingly.

This year, once again, I've watched all the movies and have reached a breaking point. I simply don't care anymore. And I take no pleasure in making increasingly hostile diatribes about how the Academy has lost its mind. So I'm not going to subject anyone to that anymore.

If you're curious what my favorite movie of 2018 is, it's "Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot". DWHWGFoF was not nominated for anything, as far as I know, and it didn't get incredible reviews. As far as I can tell, the big criticism of it is that it's "Oscar bait". I find that term problematic most of the time and I completely disagree with it in this case. If you're looking for a good drama, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment