Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Joys of Viacom

So now this is happening to my inbox today...


For those that don't know, I've uploaded a number of "Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn" clips on to youtube and Viacom is claiming copyright and taking them down.

I have no problem with copyright claims as such - companies need to make sure A) no one else is profiting off their intellectual property and B) they need to make sure that they ARE.

The problem I have with this is that neither of these was happening.

Firstly, none of the blocked videos are monetized. I never displayed a single ad or made a single dime off of Viacom's content. I uploaded for free, people watched for free and no one made any money out of any of it.

Secondly, and much more importantly, show me the revenue stream Viacom reaps off of old episodes of Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn. Can I watch it on a streaming service? Does Viacom have their own Youtube channel with ads? Are there Late Late Show DVDs available for purchase at Best Buy? No. Viacom was not making a penny less with these videos available for fans to watch and is not making a penny more with these videos struck down. The only difference is they were able to take something away from their customers.

When a giant company takes something from someone for their own profits, some call that "greed". But what is it when a giant company takes something from someone and no one benefits in any way?



No comments:

Post a Comment