Thursday, May 14, 2015

Late Show - Last Show Approaching

David Letterman's career on late night is quickly coming to an end; his last show is May 20th. In an interesting interview, Dave talks about what it all means, his heart surgery, the scandal and reveals that he's been taking anti-depressants.

This was the part that I found most interesting:
As the end nears, Late Show has dug into its vaults to replay a sampling of vintage comedy bits, some almost Dada-esque in their absurdity. (On a recent show, a 1993 clip found Dave cruising Manhattan making mischief with his car phone, as when he alerted a news-radio station that traffic was backed up on Amsterdam Avenue, then corrected himself: 'Oh, I think it was just a red light.')
Those old clips make him nostalgic for the Lettermanesque-ness he may have since outgrown.
'I realize what the old show was, and we haven't being doing the old show in years,' he says.  
'And that's all because of me.'

I have to agree. Not that I've been saying that it's "all because of him" but that my reason for losing interest in the show is because it had changed. It wasn't that Dave was old or that his competitors were so much better or that he couldn't produce "the viral videos", it was that they simply stopped doing The Late Show.

I imagine there'll be many such clip montages in the episodes leading up to the final show, so I look forward to that.









No comments:

Post a Comment