Monday, September 15, 2014

Gaming #1

I recently bought a CRT TV and already owned an NES and SNES so I've been enjoying some retro gaming recently. In addition to playing some of the classics that I own, I've been purchasing other games on ebay and amazon piece-by-piece.

Here's what I started out with...


Obviously it's a classic. There's one weakness though: no saving! Without the chance to save progress, I had to schedule out a Saturday and try to go through it all in a day. I've probably beaten this game several times over the years but this time was different in two ways: 1) It was 1-Player this time and 2) I didn't use any warps or shortcuts.

Any time you re-approach a game after years, you hope that your age will mean you're much better. I was NOT much better. This was hard and I died muchly.

Here's something weird that I never noticed before.... Super Mario Bros. 3 doesn't have any credits. Every game tells you who made it but this one doesn't.


Another classic and another one that I had already beaten several times.

This is where I learned the value of being able to save progress. I could pick this up and play it casually, every now and then, beat a few levels and turn it off.

I beat the game but something weird happened after that... the next time I turned the game on, all my game data was erased. I know that errors happen with computers but I've never seen any data on any nintendo game ever be lost like that. Pretty strange. Fortunately, I had already beaten it anyway.




Lookit how hyped-up that crowd is. That arena is rockin'.

This one is also a classic. It's one of the first nintendo games I ever played and I still love it as much as I did back then... but I've never "beaten" it. I suppose if you play the computer at the highest speed and win, you've beaten the game, in a sense. So far I've managed to win against the computer at Speed 1 but it was tough. USA vs. the USSR, obviously. Classic days. 

I did something that I don't think I ever did in this game... regulation ended with the score tied so it went to a shoot-out. But then the shoot-out ended with the score still tied and it went to overtime. But in the overtime, there are no goalies. That's several layers of weird. I have no idea how to play without a goalie. The best strategy I came up with was just to take a player and try to block the net with him. 

I also found a code that allows you to play with a frictionless surface that I haven't tried yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment