Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Worlds Collide : MST3K and Late Night

LEAVE THE BRONX.

I was drifting off to sleep listening to the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode "Escape 2000" when I thought I heard an unlikely name.

I rewound to the same moment. Clear as day, Tom Servo says, "Steve Higgins". Here's what it looks like:


Watch the moment here.

LEAVE THE BRONX.

Steve Higgins - in addition to being a long-time and current writer on "Saturday Night Live" - is the announcer and sidekick for "Late Night" with Jimmy Fallon. Here's what he looks like today:


The writers of MST3K are the kings of the obscure reference but, even so, I had to wonder how they know of him. Turns out that at the same time that MST3K was starting out on Comedy Central, Steve Higgins was a writer/performer on the Comedy Central show "Higgins Boys and Gruber" which Joel Hodgson was involved with as well.

LEAVE THE BRONX.

No comments:

Post a Comment