Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Conan - Episode #1

As you no doubt are already aware, the first episode of "Conan" aired last night. I was extremely impressed with how smooth and seamless it was. That's very rare for the first episode of a late night talk show (yes, even when the host is a seasoned veteran). The cold open was about 12 times better (approximate) than the cold open of the first "Tonight Show" episode (I think they may have learned from that one). Loved the Halloween mask, loved Ricky Gervais' piece and Andy Richter is in top form (as always).

Apparently it got higher ratings than Letterman/Chinbag which doesn't surprise me at all but it ought to be interesting where it comes in when the hubbub dies down. You've gotta weigh an 11 o'clock start vs. the basic cable factor. Plus, there's the question of fan loyalty. Will all those people who went to rallies, the tour, created petitions, clogged twitter, etc. watch faithfully or forget again? We shall see.

Here are my favorite highlights:

Cold open:

Ricky Gervais wishes Conan good luck:

1 comment:

  1. I was slightly annoyed at the recurring theme of "oh man I lost my show and now I'm on cable", and was pleased that they only dragged it on for one (and a half) episodes.

    I missed Andy greatly, I think he's bloody hilarious and glad to see him back on the couch where he belongs.

    I honestly didn't think the Gervais bit was funny.... UNTIL he hit "the food network". That got me deep in the belly laugh department.

    ReplyDelete