Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Peanut Butter: Utopia or Dystopia???

Recently Elmo was a guest on Jimmy Fallon. You can watch most of the "interview" (read: insanity) here.

At the end of the segment the Roots, together with the audience, played the "Pinball" song (or the "Counting Song" or "1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12"). Fun fact: apparently, the song was originally performed by the Pointer Sisters.

The Pinball animation was one of my favorite segments and it got me thinking back to some others that I really enjoyed. Here are a few.

Making Peanut Butter


Looking at it now, the peanut butter doesn't look good at all. But conflang it, that song was catchy and I liked pretty much anything that showed how an everyday item was made.

Rolling Ball (1-2-3)


Looking at this now, it's exactly the same as the Pinball concept - you got a rolling ball, within a complex contraption and counting. It's no wonder I loved them both. I love the completely dark background as if this setup exists in another dimension (see also: Bob Ross). Looking at it now makes me wonder if it could be real at all as opposed to an editing together of isolated shots. I really want it to be real.

Cab Calloway - Hidey Ho Man


I had no idea what this was or who this guy was at the time but I knew I liked it. Loved the song, loved the crazy "scat" style, loved the fact that he's wearing white tails on Sesame Street... I even loved the "lightning bolt" set. So many years later this song still gets stuck in my head and I still don't really know the lyrics.

This one was really hard to find because what are your search terms??? Maybe I should have known the artists name but then, if you want kids to learn someone's name, don't have them introduced by the unintelligible two-headed monster. Note: I never actually utilized this method when I was in new surroundings and looking to make new friends. Wonder if it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment